Educators Attend Redken Symposium

Previous Image
Next Image

info heading

info content

Recently, four educators, selected to represent both GJ Academy locations, went to Redken’s Symposium 2015 in Las Vegas.  The Symposium consists of three amazing days of Redken Education with the finest, most sought-after educators in the industry.  Thousands of salon professionals participate every year.

Here’s what educators Shawna, Nicole, Shea & Myleyah had to say about their experience:

What was your favorite part of the Redken Symposium?

Shawna: Favorite thing about Symposium was seeing international stylists using terms and techniques for styling hair that we teach the very first week of school.

Nicole: The classes were great, lots of new techniques and fun atmosphere.

Shea: It was great being around so many inspiring industry leaders! All of the classes I attended were packed full of new techniques to create beautiful interesting hair.

Myleyah: The Trend Report class!! It was fun, educational, and the head stylist let us take pictures with them at the end!

What was your favorite or funniest memory of the trip?

Shawna: Funniest thing that happened was when we had free time, which was very little, we did a bit of gambling and we would win a $1 and be shouting and cheering. People thought we were winning big because of our excitement. We had never really gambled before so the small wins were thrilling!

Nicole: Finding inexpensive places to eat.

Shea: Screaming for Shawna at the slot machines while she won all of her money!

Myleyah: Shea and I learning, playing, and then losing at Blackjack – lol

What was it like to be one of four educators selected to attend the symposium?

Shawna: I was a little nervous at first but the closer it came to leaving the more excited I became. I feel honored to be one of the educators that get to deliver all the information we learned to my co workers so that they can share it with our students.

Nicole: Definitely an honor, it was a fun experience and to get to go with fellow educators was great.

Shea: It was so exciting to be able to be apart of the symposium. There was so many great classes that we got to attend and being in Vegas with 1,000 plus hair stylists was such a memorable inspiring experience!

Myleyah: It was an honor to be around people who were as passionate about the industry and education as much as we are.

Of all the things you learned, what was your biggest take away you can’t wait to share with your students?

Shawna: I loved seeing all the different stylists. There are so many things you can do with a cosmetology license whether being a stylist in a salon, owning a salon or being a famous hairstylist and seeing everyone in one place was so amazing!

Nicole: All of the great techniques, I have already showed them a few cutting and foiling techniques.

Shea: I’m excited to share with them the versatility that you can have with an airwave! The finished style is what allows the guest to leave with beautiful hair. By using the principles that we teach in the classrooms, taking your time, and using the right product you can create beautiful styles that can last a couple days! The Trainers at the event emphasized the point that it doesn’t matter how good the cut is if you can’t style the hair to look right.

Myleyah: The easiest way to create the most perfect bun ever!

What is your favorite Redken product & why?

Shawna: Velvet Gelatine 07 is my favorite Redken product. I love to run my fingers through my hair but need something that will hold my style. This product I put in my hair towel dried and it creates a little bit of bounce and natural shine with medium hold. Plus it has frizz and humidity protection which is much needed in our Seattle weather.

Nicole:  I love Curvaceous since I have curly hair and because it smells great and gives my hair a lot of definition. A close second would be Wax Blast because you can use it for so many things.

Shea: My favorite Redken product is the Blonde Idol shampoo and Violet conditioner. The product is awesome because the shampoo is moisturizing, but will not weigh my fine hair down. I follow the shampoo with the violet conditioner and leave it in for 3 minutes, this helps keep my blonde hair looking fresh and bright! I am very excited to try a new product that we heard about at the symposium called extreme lengths. This product helps your hair grow 6″ in 1 year!

Myleyah: I loved the Metallic Mix 05. It is an up and coming trend that is temporary color that can be built to opaque coverage and comes in Silver and Gold. I even bought some and it’s so awesome!!!!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us ladies!  Check out photos from their trip.