Meet Our Team: Hayley

Meet our team: Hayley has been working with us in admissions for over two years. She works out of our North Seattle Campus, but spends most of her time from September through June focusing on high school events, visiting schools in both the north and south end. She is a licensed cosmetologist and alumni of North Seattle. Hear what Hayley has to say about what makes Gene Juarez Academy stand out.

What is your favorite part of your job?

I love sharing the excitement with the students! The fact that I can relate with the initial spark of interest in the school, the application process, going through school and graduating- it is so gratifying to share that feeling with them from the day we tour to their graduation day.

When I am in the high schools, my favorite part is seeing the student through their last day of high school to walking into the Gene Juarez Academy on their first day! It amazes me that these young faces have such determination and drive to complete scholarships, make appointments and be to school on time, and complete the program successfully at such a young age.

What advice do you have for people thinking of going to beauty school, specifically high school students?

For anyone that is thinking of going to beauty school; requesting more information on Gene Juarez Academy and touring the school is just the beginning! It doesn’t obligate you to sign up for anything- it gives you a chance to see if the cosmetology industry is for you!

It’s all about gauging your experiences thus far and how you can channel that into an educational experience- and then a rewarding and exciting career!

For high school students:

Apply for as many scholarships as possible! We offer so many opportunities to help students receive outside funding that can substantially help with your tuition. Apply for the scholarships as soon as you can, visit any websites that are available, like the WashBoard, and keep in detailed contact with your high school counselor and your admissions representative.

I visit most schools in the Seattle and Federal Way areas in the fall and spring, so please stop by during your career fair to be the first to receive scholarship information! Stay on track to graduate, and work hard until the very end! I was in your shoes; I enrolled at Gene Juarez Academy the spring of my senior year and was SO excited to start! Don’t let senioritis get the best of you- the best is yet to come!

Overall, a career in cosmetology is what you make of it. Whether you are freelance, working from home, traveling or running your own business- your dream is the limit. That is what makes this industry so amazing; YOU are in control of your destiny! If you are doing what you love, you will never work a day in your life.

Why do you think someone should choose Gene Juarez Academy?

The same reason I did- because of the GJA experience! From the day I toured and saw the school for the very first time, I knew that the education and training would surpass any other facility. There was no competition. The opportunities that students receive aside from cosmetology training can’t be compared- you are getting the experience and styling skills of someone who has a natural eye for hair, a passion for making others feel beautiful, an opportunity to work in a salon environment with highly trained educators, the list goes on and on.

From a personal stand point- I was noticed in stacks of applications for salons specifically because of where I went to school. When I travel to other states and mention Gene Juarez- we are known nationwide, even though we are only in Washington State. Our alumni are making names for themselves like you wouldn’t believe, and it’s all because it started with their education.

Though I’m working in admissions full time and networking throughout the high schools, in my free time I am still doing hair. As a freelance wedding hair/makeup artist, I wouldn’t be successful if I didn’t have the education from Gene Juarez Academy. It was the name of my school that got me noticed in my first salon job, which gave me amazing opportunities to travel and work in fashion shows backstage and in photo shoots.

Trust me, you will love it here!